Tuesday, December 7, 2010

But then it snowed . . .

Today was a rather lackadaisical day. Oh, if my students could see this they'd be so proud! 

I'm not sure what it was. Perhaps it's simply the nature of this week. My visits to Wichita have ceased which is saddening yet a relief at the same time. Naturally, I'm sad I can't see my friends every weekend now, but I'm so very relieved that I can finally stay at home for a day, sleep in, actually clean my house, and catch up on some reading/grading/planning, etc.

That will be this weekend, however. Now I'm in this frantic planning mode. Ah, the things that students never see, hear, or know.

I love to plan ahead. It makes me feel better about where I'm headed with the students if I know what's coming up. Now, I'm all about being spontaneous. I change things at the last minute all the time. I love to go with the flow and see what would work best for the kids (sometimes it's even a split second decision just before the words come out of my mouth!). Have plans made ahead of time, however, makes me feel better about changing them.

I'd rather spontaneously change pre-made plans than enact hurried plans, you know?

Well, because all my planning time (i.e. weekends) has been taken up lately with visits to the ICT, that's left me in a few weeks of rushed plans. And for me, rushed means coming up with it the night before.

This has slowly worn me down, and I think today was the first time it's actually affected my attitude and demeanor with my kids. I was easily annoyed and aggravated by many things that would normally slide right off my shoulders. I told two of my classes today how disappointed in them I was. That's not normal.

Even my hour that normally relaxes me and lifts my heart couldn't do it for me today.

But then it snowed.

Big, fat snowflakes that instantly turned into puddles on the ground, but I'm still counting it as snow.

And I was happy again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i would love to talk to you about teaching sometime.
you are inspiring!

Anonymous said...

ahhh, don't be so hard on yourself! This year is almost half over and this was your first bad day...sounds like you are one your way to "sainthood" already!
Lighten up on yourself!!