Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Santa Fe: Part One

Ok, first, let's start with a few pre-Santa Fe things.

My parents are awesome.
I really needed this break.
I am a kick-A cook.

Over this last month the electronic things in my home died. Don't ask me why. My laptop croaked. The DVD player in my old TV suddenly decided to stop working. I could no longer watch DVDs in my own home. Not kidding, in order to watch The Social Network I had to curl up on the couch in the library at school. At 10:00 at night. It was kind of cool, but also annoying.

I'm going to say it all happened because I am an unusually electric person and the devices could simply no longer handle the charge from being around me. Yep. Stop laughing. Jerks.

Well, my parents arrive this weekend. And they have something with them. That something would be an LCD HDTV for me and a Blu-Ray player. Holy crap. No words. Except that they are awesome. And generous. And I am spoiled. And I will need tom work very hard to show how grateful to them I am.

And before they arrive I ask what they would like for dinner. My mom says, "Well, a roast would be mice."

A roast? Um, I've never made a roast before. BUT, one of my major life goals is to make a large array of food that is so good that people dream about it, crave it, and beg for it. And a roast? Well, that's like, a STAPLE. Like meatloaf. Like chicken and noodles. Like pumpkin pie or chocolate chip cookies.

So I bought the supplies, thought about how to put it together, and went for it.

Um, it was amazing, if I say so myself. Wow. I was almost sad that my parents helped me eat it. And it was a chuck roast too. Not the best cut. And it was still juicy and tender enough. I feel like I'm well on my way with the cooking.

Ok. So the break begins. Much needed. Have you read the last few posts? Yeah, they've been a little heavy. And for those of you who enjoy this blog because I write about the funny things in my life, well, I don't blame you if you've been a little tired of that thus far.

I'm tired of it too! Heavy thoughts are always in my head, but they're usually equally matched by the lighter things. I feel like those have been missing lately.

Well, here's a few:

1. Driving into Santa Fe is awesome. Mountains!

2. I got my own motel room. Score! This will come in very handy when I want to watch something on TV and I don't have to share the remote with my father, who, God love him, never watches what I want. And I can walk around wearing whatever I want. Or whatever I don't want. You know.

3. I really like hot tubs. In private courtyards. With a fireplace and a couch. Under the stars. Big enough to swim in. Awesome. Awesome. Oh, and I finally got to break in my new swimsuit.

4. Despite the fact that I'm not Catholic, I adore cathedrals. And I got to see an amazing one. And every now and then I need a reminder of how much Jesus suffered on the cross, and, frankly, no one does the blood and gore and pain of Christ like Catholics. The statue of Him on the cross in the chapel actually had REAL hair. That creeped me out a bit.

5. I got to see a lot of art. A lot. I didn't realize I'd missed it until I was wandering through the Georgia O'Keefe museum. And here's the thing. O'Keefe's works have been interpreted as expressions of her sexuality, and it turns out that's wrong! She hated that. And I didn't know that until this week. And the sad thing is, even knowing that, all I can see when I look at her abstract flower paintings? Lady parts. Sorry.

6. I had half a rack of lamb for dinner last night. And I was having trouble deciding between a few entrees. And then I realized I could make an awesome joke if I ordered the lamb. And I'm not ashamed to say that I got the half rack so I could send a picture with this tweet: "Mary had a little lamb...." HECK yeah.

7. I love wine. And my family loves wine as well. And sometimes we love it a lot. Not too much, but, well, a lot. Let's just say we had fun last night. And my mother is adorable when she has a few glasses. We're blaming the high altitude......

8. I was admiring some pretty jewelry yesterday. And my face was right next to the glass of the window. And I wanted a closer look. And.....you guessed it. SLAMMED my forehead into the glass. With a resounding gong. Yeah. I was totally that person who forgets a window is there and then knocks herself out trying to get a closer look. My father found it highly enjoyable. I told him he was a terrible person. As I was wiping the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard.

9. I have enjoyed Santa Fe so far. The city isn't for me. But an hour outside of the city? Oh my gosh. Wow. I had to scrape my forehead off of the car window. And the red rocks made me homesick.

10. I've been wearing my hipster glasses everywhere. Partly because I think they're fun. Partly to feel different. And partly because it kind of makes me laugh. Either way, I look like a huge nerd. And I like that right now. I'll go back to looking professional and put together when school starts again, but if I had my choice right now, it'd be shorts, V-necked T-shirts, air-dried hair, sandals, and hipster glasses on a regular basis.

Ok, maybe not hipster glasses all the time. Maybe just sometimes.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I love you!!! thanks for keeping us posted on your trip!! I hope it gets even more amazing!