Sunday, March 27, 2011

Silliness and a serious case of the tingles

Hello my faithful followers.

I'm trying to be a faithful blogger for you. Sometimes it's hard. I mean, I'm sure we're very similar. This means that many of the thoughts floating around my head are nothing new. Just same old thoughts. Floatin' around. Gettin' kinda annoying. This sort of makes it hard to write things for you. And unless something hilarious happens to me I doubt any of you would be interested in the goings on of my life.

Although (and I blush to confess it) I did manage to burn a cake tonight. I know. To cinders. Ugh. Maybe I can cook, but bake? Not exactly. Dang. But it's ok anyway. It was a pineapple cake, and don't ask me why I had one. I don't know. Cause I sure wasn't going to like it anyway. Now I love pineapples, but as a cake? Meh.

See? That was my one anecdote from the day. Pineapples and burnt cakes. Aren't you glad I shared? Don't you feel enlightened? Entertained? No? See? Told you.

Oh, or how about this? I tried on my old dresses from high school today. Yep, they still fit. And I look better in them now.

Yeah.....that was definitely interesting.

Last night a friend and I chatted about my high school days. We went through my old yearbooks, reading comments, laughing at the things people wrote, "aww"ing at the sweet or touching things from friends, and counting up the number of guys I had crushes on each year. Sophomore year was the worst: 12. And that's only the boys who signed my yearbook...

Oh my readers. You have no idea how ridiculously boy crazy I used to be. I'm calmer now, thankfully.

But it made me think about high school. And how much I lived for theatre and choir. Lived for them, people. They were my passions. I know now that theatre was a passion because I loved the people. I loved being in front of an audience and keeping them entertained. And I loved music because, well, it is the foundation of my soul.

Dang, that's deep.

My love of theatre has transferred in interesting ways.

I love entertaining people. Keeping them laughing. Cracking jokes. Making the offhanded comment that puts people in stitches. As any of my friends can tell you, I bank a lot of my personality on the fact that I'm short, cute, and silly. I lessened early on that I cannot tell a joke or make a whip smart remark very well (although the "your face" formula has yet to let me down), so instead I channeled my ability to entertain into being the one that people laughed AT.

Luckily, God made me naturally clumsy, quirky, and fun-sized--all a rather brilliant combination for being laughed at.

My love of theatre also transferred into being a teacher. Thanks to years of performing I can easily tell when I'm losing an audience, and I'm always thinking in terms of keeping my audience's attention. And if I'm losing it then I just act dumb for a second, people laugh, and we get right back on track.

Ah, manipulation. So good.

In all honesty, it's the people who are closest to me, who I trust most, and who know the real me who get to see my seriousness. The quiet me. If I haven't made a joke in thirty minutes and we're just hanging out, don't worry. Nothing is wrong. You're actually just seeing regular ol' MB. The one without the silly games or the shows of clumsiness or quirky gestures. Although, real MB makes gestures too. Dangit.

And music. We all know music is my soul. And in high school that was choir.

I was asked what my favorite song was. And i wanted to choose something hip. Something edgy. But really, all I can think of is a choir piece.

Nerd alert!

This piece is written for men. It's Franz Beibel's arrangement of "Ave Maria" and I've never in my life heard anything more beautiful produced by the human voice. When I listen to this piece, I lay on the floor. I soak in the exquisite harmonies and the so-beautiful-they're-painful dissonances. Chills creep over me and my heart speeds up. When the "Amen"s begin at the end of the piece I feel like my heart could burst out of my chest, slowly at first, but then building in a crescendo of sound that topples me over the edge.

Phew. Almost makes me blush to read that. But that's this piece for me. It's an almost tangible experience. Take a listen. Please.

Enjoy.

And you're welcome for the tingles.

3 comments:

saras ^^ said...

I hope one day to be as articulate as you are MB. But for now you'll have to settle with an ill worded thought you've inspired. It's hard to share the emotions unadulterated, and deliciously disciplined voices can stir in the core of our hearts. I absolutely love how a group so in tune with their music begins to move their bodies as one because the music is taking over their very beings - it pours out of them like an immovable force. I took your advice, got in my big desk chair, turned up my speaker system and drank in ave maria in a new way. Thank you so much for sharing chanticleer! I'm downloading some of their stuff as I type this to you. Do they want to make you laugh and cry and the same time like they did for me? I'm hoping they do so I can feel less like a walking contradiction :P
p.s. can't wait to see you!

Meg said...

Oooh, thanks for the tingles! But I had to giggle just a bit at that awesome stache. :-)

My favorite song was one we sang for contest our junior year (I think) by Eric Whitacre (I think) "I Thank Thee God" (I think). Still gives me chills thinking about it. I miss Concert Choir.

Kristy said...

you are the best!! Thanks again for sharing your heart with the world! I am grateful that I am one of those that gets to hear and see the serious MB!! I need to come to Ashland again soon!!! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Love you friend!