Sunday, September 5, 2010

Confession

I have a confession to make.

Despite the fact that I am a self-professed nerd, I haven't actually seen any of the Star Trek films except for The Undiscovered Country and the newer Star Trek.

This might be a shocker to you until you remember that I veered off in the direction of all things Star Wars.

This means despite the fact that I grew up on a diet of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek-themed murder mysteries being held at my home (complete with my parents in full regalia and face putty), and purchasing Data Christmas ornaments for my mother, I somehow ended up on the other side of the tracks.

All of this to say that I'm now working my way gradually through the many Star Trek movies.

Last night I began with Star Trek: The Movie. This is an oft-criticized film, mostly for its slow pace and lack of action. I now have to admit something, and it's going to place me in a difficult position as a nerd.

Not sure why?

Here, I'll give you a reference.

The position I will now find myself in is very similar to the position in which I would place someone who spoke of The Phantom Menace and said that it was "Not that bad." Those three words would spark a violent reaction in myself, accompanied by many vocal protestations and lashing out physically. Those are dangerous words to utter to she who aligns herself with the Wars.

So, without further ado, time to place myself into a difficult position.

And I defend myself because I found 2001: A Space Odyssey very good and I happen to like slow and plodding movies.

I found Star Trek: The Movie . . . .

. . . not that bad.

No comments: