Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Where's MY peer group?

Yes, I know. It's been awhile since I've written anything here. In fact, it's been an entire week. And for me, that's quite awhile.

To be honest, I've simply been a little lazy with it. Yes, I'm currently very busy, and yes, this weekend I was painting my bathroom the entire time, but I don't feel those are adequate excuses! I should be writing here and keeping up my skills.

Also, it's hard to write when I don't feel like I have much to write about.

But I will tell/admit to you:

I'm a little lonely.

Look, I know I'm out here for a reason. I was meant to be here at this time and this place. And it's a wonderful place to be. I love my students more than I ever thought possible. I love my job more than I thought possible. I have incredible co-workers and an amazingly supportive boss.

But I honestly am lonely.

It's tough to find your identity in a community where you're an oddity.

A single, childless, fresh-out-of-school, professional young woman? Yikes. Good luck with finding a peer group for that.

I love that one of the very first things that was ever said to me when I visited was, "There are no men here for you."

Let me tell you, that was great.

Not that I'm looking. Not that I need or want another relationship right now. I believe I'm being asked to be single. But somehow just the possibility that someone's close by can ease anxieties and make singleness easier.

With a dearth of eligible bachelors and no end in sight, it can make current singleness oppressive, for I see it stretching into endless singleness.

Does that make any sense?

You know, sometimes I want to rip out my biological clock and smash it. With a HAMMER.

Dear Biological Clock,
Stop reminding me that you exist. I am fully aware that some of my friends are on their second child already, and they're my age. I understand that wanting to wait a few years after getting married before having children probably puts me in the 30 and over category for having a first child. Please give me a break.
MB

P.S. Body, while you're at it, would you give my hormones a talking-to? Because they need a serious time out.

Thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'd just like to take this time to say that you are awesome, mb. and i don't mean captain awesome kind of awesome. i mean the real kind of awesome.