Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sir, Amen!

Today was excellent. Allow me to recount my day for you:

1. I sleep in (by choice) and subsequently got to school around seven this morning. That's crazy late for me! But I am so grateful for the extra sleep that I feel great for the day.

2. My first two hours fly by rather well. Then it's third hour.

3. Oh third hour. Not sure what was in the air today, but by far one of the funniest hours we've had all year. My face felt like it was about to break from all the smiling I was doing. I'm hopeful that we actually learned something during the hour, but, if not, at least we had a fun time. And if we did? Then holy cow! I need to figure out to have class like that every day.

4. Actually got a few things done during 4th hour today, and finally got it through a student's head that he really shouldn't pay me such excessive compliments. At least, I think I got it through his head. We'll see if he says his normal "Miss Martin, you're lookin' good today. That's really working for you."

You think it'd be rude to pretend to throw up when he says that? Just a thought.

5. Share my high school journal with my little Creeper and I have a great conversation with her. We chat about high school and high school relationships, learning from heartbreak, and the reality of love. I felt great about the conversation . . .

6. . . . that is, until I discovered that a student had eavesdropped on our conversation! Then that student got another student to ask me about a conversation I thought had been private! And of course that student had to ask about the specific phrase that would probably throw me off the most.

Ridiculous. I shall now have to watch everything I say in school because apparently little ears are always around the corner to catch anything that will fall in.

So besides that little annoyance, school was great today. I've been having a lot of fun lately. Seriously.

7. I got another note from a student! So happy! This note was more of a series of little notes (cute!) and they're definitely going to go with the other one. I'm starting a little file where I can keep meaningful notes from students and pull them out on a bad day.

And now, here's a present for my Little Creeper. She knows who she is.

30 Facts About MB

1. Even though it hurts, I love it when my cheeks are red and freezing because it makes me feel alive.

2. I do not like to be touched in any way (no hugs, or even a hand on the arm) by ANYONE unless it's someone I'm interested in/involved with romantically. This puzzles many people. 

3. After being in theatre for most of my life, I no longer have any modesty. This makes some of my friends uncomfortable. Who needs closed doors or turned backs?

4. Very rarely does something I "love" stick around for good, for I'm always finding new things to enjoy and new interests; however, I've stuck with a very specific favorite salad dressing for five years now with no signs of getting bored. This = progress! 

5. I finally became someone with internet on her phone who texts a lot. I'm my own worst nightmare. 

6. Every now and then I contemplate running away and starting from scratch.

7. The fastest way to my heart is to write me a long and honest letter. 

8. These are the physical traits I am most attracted to in a man, in order: defined forearms, a broad and strong back, thick eyebrows, dark hair, a strong nose, rugged hands, a full beard, and a thick neck.

9. My body craves about 9 hours of sleep a night. I've been living consistently on 5. I can feel the years falling off the end of my life . . .

10. I believe in fate, love-at-first-sight, and soul mates mostly because my parents' love story proves that all those things are true. 

11. I sing along to most songs whether I like them or not. I can't stop. 

12. I only listen to country music once a year: at the yearly barn dance. At that time I forget my disdain for country music and just enjoy country swing, line dancing, and two-stepping. Then it's back to sanity.

13. I make every visitor to my house lay on my bed. It's seriously the best thing you've ever felt.

14. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remind me that this is my life now and it's not just some fabulous dream.

15. I feel attractive and comfortable in my skin for the first time in seven years, and it shows. 

16. Sometimes I can be overly confessional. I like my life to be an open book for people.

17. I'm seriously considering letting people fix me up with someone for the first time in my life. This makes me somewhat nervous.

18. When I'm awake, I'm awake. I don't drink caffeine in any form. 

19. If my hot water would last for an hour I'm sure I could take an hour long shower. 

20. I am a night person for sure. I become really productive and really energetic. My house gets really clean and organized after 8 every night!

21. I love the stars so much. I want to lay on someone's roof and watch the stars all night. Can someone make that happen?

22. Living alone is amazing. I don't have to worry about surprising roommates, I can stay up until 3 a.m. and be loud, and I can wear (or not wear) whatever I want.

23. When I get married, my husband better not be a cuddler. I hate sharing a bed (as Kristy knows)!

24. I love it when people call me by a nickname. The most common is MB. The people I love most call me MB. You should call me MB.

25. I love, love, love to dance. Waltz, swing, line dance, two-step, rave, hip-hop, you name it and I'll do it. A man who will swing me around is an instant source of pure joy.

26. I really like being short. I love being able to fit right under someone's arm.

27. I do not stay angry. Ever. It's too stressful to hold on to anger. 

28. I haven't felt exhilaration like this in a long time. Life is so fun right now.

29. I love humor about bodily functions, and I'm not afraid to talk about the real thing, too. Deal with it.

30. I'm so glad that I'm teaching high school. These kids will keep me young for life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like how open you are MB :) I can relate to several of your facts, but unlike you no one wants to hear me sing loudly to musicals, you have a great voice so I am excited you posted a few songs you and Shawn did. Hope to catch a quick hug (since you love them so much!) next time you are back :)