Friday, November 26, 2010

A Thanksgiving conversation, for kicks.

Family traditions. So touching, so sweet, so moving.

Ha!

When we hear the word tradition we usually think of something old, something to revered, something sacred. Generally. The traditions in my family, however, are quite often not those things, and I'm sure many of my gentle readers will agree when it comes to their own families.

Some of the traditions in my family include:
1. Making the same cake every year for Christmas.
2. Fighting over who gets what firework as we watch them on the 4th.
3. Bourbon slush.
4. Being sci-fi geeks.
5. Making fun of my mom at every chance.
6. Playing cards.
7. Making fun of my mom while playing cards.
8. Making fun of me if my mother happens to be gone.

Well, when everyone was here for Thanksgiving there was no way we could pass up a few of these traditions. Bourbon slush? Good thing I had some left for everyone. Making fun of my mom? Easy (and done in love)! Playing cards?

Ah, playing cards.

Getting the four of us together while playing cards simply asks for trouble. The quips. The shouting. The insults. My sister and I generally fighting, poking, and prodding at each other. Everyone yelling at my dad, the human vacuum. Us making fun of my mom and them making fun of the way I say things.

It's a good time.

Occasionally those moments will crop up when the stars align and conditions are perfect for a moment that will forever live in everyone's memory. One such time happened about a dozen year ago while we were playing a game. Let's just say that an ample amount of caffeine and my inability to hold in a burp made the word "spades" one of the funniest sounds a human being has ever made. I'm serious. Just say the word "spades" around my father, and he'll dissolve into a fit of giggles and just repeat "spoooo," spUHoooo" over and over again (because that's what I sounded like).

And yesterday was another such moment. I love my family so much, and I love spending time with them. I now present to you one of my favorite conversations my family has ever had, past, present, and (I'm sure) future:

-

Mom:       What am I supposed  to do with these cards?
Dad:         I don't know, what am I supposed to do with these cards?
Me:          Mom, why don't you rub them together and see if they make something new?
Mom:       Ben, why don't we rub ours together and see if they make something new?
Dad:         We've already done that twice.

-

Need I say more?

No comments: