Monday, November 8, 2010

New York Trip: Chris

Perhaps my favorite part of my trip to New York (which took place a full MONTH ago!) was the opportunity to see my bestie from high school. 

There was a time that Chris and I were inseparable. Joined at the hip. Finished each others' sentences. We've laughed together, cried (tears of laughter) together, and acted together. I've helped him postpone the heat death of the universe and he's raped me.

Wait, did she just say that? What does that mean? How are these people friends? What kind of site IS this? Unfollow, unfollow!

Calm down, people. It was in a play we did together, and my dad even showed him how to do it, so look: Dad approved!

. . . and then I just lost the last few who were hanging on. 

Either way, Chris is incredibly dear to my heart, and I was dying (and a little nervous) to see him after SIX whole years without actually being in each others' presence. 


I tell you, that first hello was awkward.

A stilted hug, figuring out what to do with Chris in a beard, dealing with the fact that we're both working ADULTS (yikes), and wondering why his voice sounds weirdly different. Not to mention that our reunion was happening in the press room at New York Comic Con, which, of course, made things even more awkward.

Also, the first night out was a little tough. Blaring music can make catching up with a long-lost friend difficult for even the most dedicated reminiscer.

But things leveled out, and Saturday evening and Sunday were so great. We argued over who would cover the checks, ate Pad Thai, drank some delicious beverages, hung out with his coworkers and (perhaps) friends, enjoyed the city, and talked about all our favorite subjects: love lives, food, TV and film, people from high school, and the Chiefs.

I finally got to meet his lady, but the first meeting was awkward. I was holding down the floor of their living room, so my first night in the city I bunk down AFTER she's already gone to sleep upstairs. So my first meeting with his pretty girl was uncomfortable. But things finally even out on Saturday evening. She's everything I'd imagine for Chris.

Repping the Chiefs shirt at the Potato Famine Memorial in lower Manhattan. That's how we do.

It will doubtless be awhile before I see my friend again, but hopefully it won't be six years. 

The best part about the weekend? Falling back into the familiar banter which defined our friendship during our time at LSHS. 

Some things never change, and I am so incredibly grateful for it. 

No comments: