Monday, July 5, 2010

A Weekend Visit

Well, I visited Ashland this weekend and I can officially say that I feel much better about my move.

It was a weekend full of meeting new people, and while it was overwhelming, it was also really good for me. I stayed with the woman whose house I'm buying, Vicki, and she made me feel so welcome. I am so blessed to buying her house and to have someone in Ashland who I feel really comfortable with already. She helped introduce me to people, which I really appreciated.

I got in on Friday evening and chatted with Vicki for a bit, and then we headed to the local pizza place. She treated me to a pizza (Canadian bacon and mushrooms, yum) and I asked her a ton of questions about the high school over dinner. After that we headed back to her house where I met some former students. Basically, we just sat on the porch and hung out for the evening. It was great.

Saturday was so busy! Up at 7 to get ready for a pancake breakfast at the local fire station. I met some great ladies there and got recruited to sing with their church choir on Sunday. They move quickly here! After breakfast it was time to head over to Main Street for the parade, which was small but cute. Then over to the elementary school for turtle races, introductions, and schmoozing. I stood up on the back of a fire truck while my assistant principal introduced me to the field of people over a bull horn. Awesome. After that it was back to the house for a quick breather, then a taco lunch at the VW. The afternoon was lazy and relaxed, then Vicki and I stopped by a house that some people are building in Ashland. If you'll believe it, it's the first house to be built in Ashland in 40 years. Man! A future student stopped by for a visit, and I was so grateful for it. I think it made us both feel better about school starting. Then we had a great 4th of July dinner at the house--I made deviled eggs for the first time!--and hung out for a little bit until it was time for fireworks. Needless to say, after the fireworks I was exhausted. Believe it or not, ladies and gentlemen, but I was in bed by 11:30.

This morning was good. I visited the Methodist church (and sang in the choir!) with Vicki. I enjoyed the service, and it'll definitely be a great place to take the people who move me into my house. I'm still going to visit the other churches in town, but I'm encouraged by my visit this morning. We had lunch at the house and then took a trip to the West of town. You remember that picture from the Website that showed beautiful red bluffs on either side of the highway? Well, I hadn't seen it yet, but it was because I hadn't been West of town yet! Vicki took me out there and it was so beautiful. Then we walked around the outside and the inside of the house and discussed all the things that need to be/could be done to the house. I'm mulling some ideas around in my head, but I'll make a separate post for those later.

I headed home today around 3:00. It was actually really sad because I'd enjoyed spending time with Vicki a lot. She is truly a blessing! I am so grateful that God led me to this house because she's made the process fun and exciting rather than scary.

OK friends. I did my best to take some pictures, but I have to admit that I didn't take as many as I could have. Here are my favorites from the ones I took.















Instead of taking the normal route home today, I chose to take the scenic byway. There was a spot for cars to stop and take pictures off the side of the highway, so I stopped. This particular spot, however, was the least beautiful spot of the entire byway! The next time I go I'm going to stop at the non-designated areas and take more pictures. 








What a great trip. I came home and just sort of chilled. It was rainy, so unfortunately that meant no fireworks. I did manage to find a T-shirt I would like, however. I know that some of you will appreciate this if you watch the most recent video I posted here.

Come on. This shirt is a winner. I've never been one to wear shirts with clever slogans or sayings, but this one calls out to me in an irresistible manner. Plus, it's great for occasions. If we're ever hanging out on your birthday, there'll be a good chance that I'm going to wear this shirt. Just for you.

No comments: