Monday, June 14, 2010

Bright Star Indeed

So I know that my posts have been shorter and on the less informative side as of late. But to be honest, I didn't feel like I had much to write. Maybe someday you'll hear about my horrible adventure on Sunday, but don't count on it.

I just watched Bright Star, a film about John Keats and his relationship with Fanny Brawne. And let me tell you. I adored this movie.

Most people would watch this movie and about ten minutes in decide that it would be more fun to clip their toenails, but I loved it. Slow, quiet movies make me happy. If you need any more proof, check out The Girl With a Pearl Earring. One of my favorite movies and very, very slow.

I loved Bright Star, however, for two reason. First, it's a romance set in the 1800s. And it stays in the 1800s. By this I mean that there is no unnecessary sex. Or any at all. It's restrained and achingly beautiful. Second, it's all about Keats, and this means it's all about poetry. It's about poetry as life, finding the inspiration for poetry, and learning how to be in poetry.

As Keats says in the film, "A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore, but to be in the lake. To luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not 'work the lake out.' It is an experience beyond thought. Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery."

Amen, brother. Amen.

For those of you who may not have a special affinity for poetry, this may sound rather dull or quaint. But for me, a film like this fills a special place in my heart that not many films can. Yes, I really love film, but a film is not a poem. And rarely does a film address poetry in any meaningful way or at all. I mean, when the ending credits are backed by the recitation of Keats' poetry, you know it's at the forefront of the movie.

And listening to poetry while watching the credits instead of a cheesy pop song made my heart sing, by the way.

I would encourage anyone with a love of poetry and/or period romance to see this movie. It might help you understand your own love of poetry or why those around you love it. It might also make you cry. It definitely made me cry. Man. Heartbreaking.

Watch this, then watch the movie.



p.s. For a laugh, check out the new recommended video.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is going NEXT in my netflix queue!!! Thanks for sharing. And the house pictures made me squeal!! It looks absolutely fabulous!

Unknown said...

I too will have to netflix this!!