Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Music Tool

For some reason I have a hard time finding new music. I think it's because I'm one of those people who finds a favorite and then just really loves that favorite.

You know, like my thing with pad Thai. Oh I am positive that Thai places have excellent food. I've watched many other people eat numerous dishes, tried bites, and loved them. But . . . but . . . if I don't order pad Thai then I won't get to enjoy my favorite taste combinations. A hint of lime, peanut, soft chewy noodles, a warm spiciness that radiates through me . . .

OK. Enough of that. Go to your corner, pad Thai, and stop distracting me.

So when it comes to music, unless someone else introduces me to new things, I tend to not look for them. Until recently, that is.

I realized that soon I'll have to take on the mantle of the "cultured, big city" girl and that people will be expecting me to know all sorts of cool, artsy things. Well, I've got movies covered, but that's just because of my ridiculous obsession. See, if I could just team up with someone who is as obsessive about music as I am about movies then it would work very nicely.

And I'll have just come from seeing Inception, the movie I am most looking forward to this summer. Check out the link over on the right for the official site and the trailer. You might think, Wow, this chick should be attending Comic-Con and dressing up at Harry Potter movies with all her geekiness (and hey, your thoughts aren't too far off, for if it weren't for funds and me being a chicken, both would have happened already). But if you are intrigued, do yourself a favor and go see that movie!

Dangit. Movies. You sneakers. Stop trying to squeeze music out of the picture!

Anyway, Pandora has been helpful for me recently, so I thought I'd share some of what I come across as I listen. Today I'll share with you an artist I use to find other artists because I love her sound so much. Her name is Sara Bareilles. And yes, I will warn you, this is a piano-playing, slightly angsty, woman who sings about lost love and finding herself. And whose music usually makes other girls cry while they eat a pint of ice cream and over-identify with the sad, sad lyrics.

Stop judging, people! I reserve the right to like my stereotypical woman-music!

Here's a link to my current favorite of hers.

I hope you enjoy her stylings. If you like that sort of thing, that is.

No comments: