Friday, June 4, 2010

I drove with my mother today to visit Ashland. We met with my assistant principal, toured the town, caught up on the local news, and looked at some homes available to rent/buy.

I would love to regale you with a story about an amazing home that I saw that I am now in the process of buying. Sadly, that's not going to happen.

My father was worried about me buying a house because he thought the turnover in Ashland would be too slow.

Well, back up there. Turnover is fast. SUPER fast. We're talking DAYS for the good houses. So if I can actually GET a good house then it will turn over really quickly.

So. I'm probably going to be traveling to this town a few more times to look at houses and figure out how to get one. I'm just praying like crazy that a good one shows up.

And I went to Ashland thinking that maybe today, of all days, I would find some reason or rhyme about why I'm going to this town. I really did. And did I find anything? No.

What did I find?

More reasons to be nervous.

Like, kids who will get angry and really, REALLY nasty if they don't like me. Like the fact that I better not spend too much time indoors or outside of town, otherwise people will start to think bad things about me. Like I better be careful about my political choices and/or my selection of learning materials because of how conservative the town is.

And I KNOW that I will be a good teacher. And I KNOW that I'll be able to get in with the town. And I KNOW that I'll be able to come across well politically.

But I'm still nervous.

And I hope that I can make some friends.

No comments: