Sunday, June 27, 2010

Star Wars and Missions

It's been far too long since I've posted. Perhaps not technically, but mentally. You know how they say it takes 30 days to form a habit, but only 1 day to break it? Well, the habit of keeping this blog (and I started it for all of you who want to keep tabs on me as I move) has formed well as I've updated regularly over the last month. This weekend, however, I just did not feel like posting. And it's totally true. I felt, hmmm, I should post tonight. Then I thought, nah, I can post tomorrow. Uh oh. That is a recipe for NEVER POSTING AGAIN. And I would know. I've "restarted" this blog at least three times.

So. A real post for today.

And in case you were wondering about my day yesterday, it was great. Talked to Amy about teaching Speech, and she gave me a ton of great material. Then lunch with Mal, which was delicious and fun. Then home for some house-cleaning, garden-watering, and sun-tanning (I gave in and decided to lay out yesterday). THEN I got a frantic text from Saras telling me that Star Wars was beginning at her house and I better get over there. They may not have realized it, but I moved so fast that I would have been a blur if you'd seen me. I started laundry, washed the dishes, showered, dried my hair (a considerable feat) and got ready in a matter of 45 minutes and was at her house an hour after she texted. And then. My friends. It was wonderful.


Star Wars is probably my most favorite series. Ever. Perhaps if a movie was made out of The Dragonriders of Pern it might be up on the top, but not even Harry Potter can surpass Star Wars for me. Perhaps the most fun of the evening? My friend Ben is also a major Star Wars nerd (and you can't even call yourself a Star Wars nerd unless you have done much more than simply watch the movies). So he and I spent much of the movies discussing the various technology of the galaxy, arguing over the merits of certain lightsaber duels, and quoting our favorite lines. An example of my nerdiness? As we watched Chewbaccca, I proceeded to relate to those watching how a young wookie enters adulthood through a dangerous ritual which enables him to procure plant fibers to weave a belt--which Chewie was wearing. They appreciated it. I know they did.

Lately I feel like I've been writing a bit of fluff. Mostly that's because no new developments have taken place in the moving process; however, I absolutely loved church this morning.

It was my last Sunday playing worship for church. So bittersweet. I love my violin so much and the chance to worship the King with it is such a blessing, but I'm still saddened by the fact that I have to leave the worship team. Nate told me that I could play when I come back to visit, which lightened my heart considerably.

Then Jim spoke this morning. For those of you who don't attend our church, we have three men who speak. Terry is our senior pastor, and Jim and Dave are associate pastors, or whatever we call them. Terry speaks about very practical things, and his messages are full of life application. Jim speaks about very complicated subjects and loads his messages with Scripture and tough theological ideas. Dave speaks about life areas people struggle with and uses Scripture to inspire, convict, and challenge. They are all great speakers, and while some people respond best to certain speakers, I usually respond best to Jim's messages. At least, that's how it's been going for me lately.

This morning he spoke about living missionally. And he made so many solid points, but the one that stuck out to me the most hit me squarely in the chest. God asks us to pray for workers to go out into the harvest. Anyone can go. It's easy. You pack your bags and you go. But it's selfish at its most base level. If all you do is go, then you're doing so on your own terms. But God commands that we ask Him to send people into the field. Being sent is different. When you're sent, it's not on your own terms. It's on His.

And I realized that I am blessed beyond anything I could imagine. Why? Because God is sending me. Holy-freaking-cow. How selfish am I by dwelling on the fact that I don't want to go away from my friends here in Wichita? Of course I don't want to go to Ashland. Things on my own terms would  never look that hard. But therein lies the beauty. I know I'm being sent because of that very reason. Being sent will always require sacrifice, prayer, strength, and courage. Going has a sort of cavalier quality. Being sent is not personally exciting or fulfilling. 


But then again it IS exciting and fulfilling. But only when looked at correctly. By loving His mission and living to see His purpose accomplished (whatever it is, for only He knows) I can and will find INFINITE benefit.


Oh Jesus, please give me the courage to trade my life today. 

1 comment:

Kristy said...

MB- I was totally thinking of you when he gave that talk. You are being sent and God is equipping you to go. It is a honor to be part of the harvest. I am so proud of you.